Sunday, July 24, 2011

Change of Plans

John and I had a lot of fun things planned for Pioneer Day Weekend...but those plans quickly changed and like life itself unexpected things were thrown our way.

Saturday was like any other Saturday. We cleaned, did some shopping, and decided to take Charlie on a walk to our favorite park...the one you hear me talk about often in this blog. We showed up the park...there were a lot of people there today. As we ended our walk around the last part of the track a Pitbull ran out of the corner of my eye and graded Charlie. It was not on a leash and literally attacked Charlie! Much of what happened after that is a blur. All I know was my dog was being thrown around like a chew toy. I have never seen something more horrific in my entire life! John got the dog away from Charlie and it's owners came down and grabbed it. All I really cared about what calming my dog down...Charlie was still in defense mode...shaking, biting, completely scared to death. He was bleeding! I could see wounds on his body. I tried to keep him calm, but my nerves were going crazy!

I kept thinking to myself I can't lose this dog...he is like my child. I have no idea what I would do without him...especially after such a horrific event we had to see.

There was a large family having a bbq at the park that day. They immediately ran over with water and pads to help with the bleeding. they helped John and I call the cops and to find the nearest Animal ER. All I wanted to do was get him help and get it quick. In Davis County there is only one Animal ER that is open after hours and it's about 15 minutes from where we were.

I can't thank those people enough for there help yesterday. Without them we could have not taken care of everything with the police before we had to leave and also with animal control. They even tried to help us find out where the owner's of the Pitbull lived. These people fled before the police showed up...and provided us with a false cell number...but I am trying to not to focus on that right now. People are going to act and be however they want to. I need to except the fact that there isn't much we can do about it.

When charlie arrived at the ER they immediately took him in to check him out. His severity was so bad because he had wounds to his abdomen that he went to the front of the line. THANK GOODNESS because I was about to lose it. My biggest worry was my dog was bleeding internally. The vet explained to us that Charlie would need exploratory surgery to find out is he was bleeding internally. He also needed to check for damage to his major organs...like his intestines since that is where he got bit.

So, into surgery Charlie went...hardest thing I have ever had to do! My poor dog was squealing. The sound of his cry about ripped my heart out.

We are glad that they performed the surgery so quickly. Charlie has four internal wounds that the vet stitched up. He also has one on his stomach. He is bruised and also has many pulled muscles. Because he had to be cut open he has one large incision on his tummy as well. (about four inches long) We are so lucky that this bite wasn't worse. It could have easily damaged his organs. He is only seven pounds and had an 80 pound dog come after him.

Charlie got to come home at 11:00pm last night. It was a rough night! John and I played musical beds and took turns getting sleep. Charlie was so uncomfortable and in a lot of pain.

Today is progressively getting better...he has been eating little pieces of chicken we cut up in cubes, and has been great at drinking water. He can't really get up by himself...he needs a little push now and then. His meds make him a little weird, but we are watching him closely and hoping for the best. It's going to be a long two weeks, but I have hopes that every day will get better and better.

I love Charlie so much. Some don't understand the love of a dog, but he is my best friend. He has taught me a lot and every day I am so happy when I get to come home and see him. This dog has touched mine and John's life so much and we can't wait for him to be back to him normal self...it will take time, but it will be so worth it.



We love you Charlie. You're a strong little guy and we know you can make it through this :)

1 comment: